Why are my subscriber numbers lower than my Shopify customer numbers?Last Updated: July 28, 2019
Newsletters by promo.ai send to email subscribers of your Shopify shop. All users must be opted-in to receive email marketing from your store for us to send newsletters to them.
Your subscriber count is made up of all customers who:
- Have opted in to receiving marketing emails
- Have verified their email accounts (ie followed the verification step process to ensure the email account is theirs and functions correctly)
Based on this, it's likely you have a number of customers who have either opted out of email marketing or have not yet verified their emails with Shopify.
We do this for two reasons:
- It ensures email subscriber lists are kept clean and are not marked as spam
- You only pay for subscribers who you are going to actually send emails to. Ie, any customers who have unsubscribed or have provided erroneous emails won't be included in the subscriber count.
How to see who the newsletter will be sent to?
You can see the full list of customers that Shopify provides us with in the Shopify admin. To see this list, follow these steps:
- Log in to your shops Shopify admin
- On the left-hand side navigation, click Customers
- In the customer's table, click on the Email subscribers view at the top of the table
The resulting table will contain all customers who have opted in to receive marketing from your store. These customers are the ones we will have access to sending
What happens if customers unsubscribe?
On the bottom of each newsletter sent out, we provide an unsubscribe link which allows customers to opt-out to receiving email marketing from your shop. Our app handles unsubscribing them from your customer list in Shopify. This is why it is important to send high-quality emails that cater to your customer's needs.
Why does it not send to all my customers?
The app is built to actively avoid sending to emails or emails lists which are potentially problematic. It does this to avoid sending spam emails and aggravating your customers who don't want to receive the newsletters.
Here are just a few of the reasons we will filter out a customer before a send:
- If the customer has not opted in to receiving email marketing for your shop (via Shopify)
- If we deem that a list has been purchased and/or directly lists imported into Shopify. These lists can typically be marked by users as spam and damage future send reputations.
- Any bouncing or email addresses with errors in them get filtered out.
Can you send to third-party email systems (like MailChimp, Klaviyo, Campaign Monitor)?
At the moment the app allows you to send to Shopify customers. However, we are working with some of our professional plan and enterprise plan customers to provide them with these options. If you're interested, send us an email at email@example.com.